Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine, Florida

Castillo de San Marcos St. Augustine, Florida
Castillo de San Marcos St. Augustine, Florida
1600x1200
 
Castillo de San Marcos St. Augustine, Florida
1024x768
 
Castillo de San Marcos St. Augustine, Florida
200x150
 

 

Castillo de San Marcos

 

The Castillo de San Marcos can be found in St. Augustine, Florida. The Spanish built fort was known as Fort Marion from 1821 until 1942, and earlier during the British rule, from 1763 to 1784, it was known as the Fort St. Mark.


In 1565, the Spanish founded the city of St. Augustine, which was defended by nine wooden forts over the next hundred years. After Robert Searle’s attack in 1668, Queen Regent of Spain, Mariana, had the Castillo de San Marcos built to protect the city. The construction began in 1672 and was completed twenty three years later in 1695 by workers from Cuba.


The Castillo is made of a material called “coquina”, which means “little shells” in English. The shells bond together and form material that is similar to limestone. The coquina was brought from Anastasia Island across the Castillo.


The Castillo is a symbol of the struggle during the colonial era, and is a foundation of American identity. The Castillo de San Marcos is 20.5 acres wide. It includes a section of St. Augustine's walled defense line. The structure, constructed using the bastion system of fortification, is the only existing 17th century fort in all of North America.

 
© 2013 Florida Pictures